Monday, February 21, 2011

Some Presidents' Day Fun!

Being Presidents' Day, I wanted to be able to teach the kiddos what today is all about. I tried printing off some mini books from Scholastic last Friday, thinking they were free, but turns out there was a fee. I ended up just reading about Washington and Lincoln to the kids from the computer. BUT, this afternoon, Brimful Curiosities posted a few links to some printable books and activities that related to Presidents' Day and I ecstatically printed several of them off and we had fun doing them this afternoon.

These little books were nice and short with some simple facts for the kiddos to remember. They are catered more to the preschool age than the mini books I read from Scholastic. (Morgan seemed to get bored and Blake went off and played while I read the Scholastic ones.) Some facts, like Lincoln liking to read by the fire and Washington chopping down a cherry tree, really seemed to catch the kids' attention.

Two of these books printed per page, which was perfect for Morgan and Blake, since in the end they had a little activity to do....

...they could draw a picture of themselves! (I helped Blake, but Morgan did hers all on her own....apparently she thinks she has short hair-lol!) :-)

Then there was a link were you could print a coloring page for just about every President, so Morgan and Blake colored the ones they learned about today.....


Blake's are the ones with all the orange....pretty sure it's his favorite color ;-)

The kiddos also learned what currency the Washington and Lincoln's faces were on and we played heads or tails. Then we did a little experiment to see how many times we flipped heads or tails....looks like tails won! We had a BLAST with this laughing about my wild coin flipping skills...even managed to get it up my sleeve once :-)


BIG THANK YOU to Brimful Curiosities for posting these and helping us learn a little more about our Presidents on Presidents' Day! :-)

5 comments:

Alexia said...

I'm still amazed that you were the one that chose public school and I'm the one who chose homeschool. I do NONE of this stuff with the boys LOL!

Caroline said...

Beautiful coloring & learning about the day. My 1st grader brought home her weekly reader and some pics to color. We had a lot of fun reading them.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I recognize those books (not US presidents), but, my daughter's kindergarten teacher uses that series. I should know, I cut and staple the little books for the class :)

I am glad you received the shirt.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

As always my dear you do the coolest activities with the kids. They are so lucky to have you as their mom!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a wonderful learning experience for your children. I love what your were able to print out for them.

 
Blogging tips