Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Saving Money in a Tight Economy

With today's economy, it is important to save money wherever possible. I usually like to shop at garage sales or Mom 2 Mom sales for the kids to save some money, but I also like to get them new clothes for Christmas and their birthdays. Last week I was given 2 coupons for $10 off a $10 purchase to JCPenney and I decided I would use them for Morgan's Christmas clothes. Rich and I made it to JCPenney on Saturday morning during their Door buster Deals when I knew I'd be able to save even more money. I made it out of JCPenney with quite a steal! Here is how my purchases broke down:

Full Price:
Jeans $21.99
Shirt $14.99
Shirt $7.99

Total with 6% sales tax: $47.67


Sale Price with coupons:
2 separate purchases

Purchase 1:
Jeans $10.99
Minus coupon: $.99
Total with 6% sales tax: $1.05

Purchase 2:
Shirt $7.99
Shirt $3.99
Total: $11.98
Minus coupon: $1.98
Total with 6% sales tax: $2.10

Total sale price with coupons: $3.15

I bought $47.67 worth of clothes for $3.15! That is 1/15th of the original price! It really pays to be frugal! :-)

4 comments:

Nicole Feliciano said...

Nice work. I find these detailed blog posts very interesting. I don't do much of them myself, but they are one of my favorite things to read.

And thanks for stopping my Momtrends to enter a contest! Check back soon I'm running 15 between now and Christmas (yikes!)

Kristie said...

Nicole,
Thanks for stopping by!

I try to stop by Momtrends as often as I can, so I'll be sure to catch your upcoming giveaways!

~Kristie

Oma said...

Good job! That's my girl! I am proud and your grandma would have been proud. I like the word frugal over cheap:)
Oma

Kristie said...

Oma,
I like the word 'frugal' too. If you think about the word too much, it starts to sound funny, though, like it shouldn't mean what it does. Maybe it's because it almost sounds like Fraggle, as in Fraggle Rock and they are just goofy! :-)

~Kristie

 
Blogging tips