Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Beef Tortilla Soup

I created this recipe from a combination of a couple other recipes and then some of my own changes as well.  I LOVE making it because I LOVE to eat it!  Plus it's fun to have a recipe where I can use the veggies/fruit and beef that we grew and have it be super tasty too! :-)

Beef Tortilla Soup
1 onion, chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 quart canned tomatoes
2-1/4 cups water
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
1-1/2 Tablespoons dried cilantro
2 teaspoons beef bullion
2 cups frozen corn
1 (4oz) can chopped green chile peppers
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
             (Or 1 cup dried beans, but precook them!)

Optional Toppings:
Cheddar or Taco cheese
Crushed tortilla chips

*In a stock pot, cook ground beef and onion until beef is brown and onion is clear. 

*Add in tomatoes, water and seasonings.  Bring to boil and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

*Stir in corn, chiles and beans.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

*Ladle soup into bowls and add desired toppings! YUM!

I've linked up at Full Time Mama's Delicious Dish Tuesdays:
Full Time Mama

2 comments:

Alexis AKA MOM said...

My dear that looks so yummy!! I love your tweaks to it!

Wendy said...

I am so going to have to try this recipe out! Looks so good. I am always looking for a new recipe. Thanks!

 
Blogging tips