Friday, March 29, 2013

Embroidery Floss Eggs

I have to thank my sister for sharing this idea with me from the Better Homes and Garden website.  She knows the oodles of floss that I have from all the cross-stitching I've done! ;-)
 
Embroidery Floss Eggs:
What you need:
*Water balloons
*Embroidery floss in desired colors
*corn starch
*water
*flour
 
First, I blew up the water balloons.  I tried using my own air until I turned blue in the face.  Then I turned to a foot pump that we have from an exercise ball, which worked wonderfully! 
 
Next, I combined 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon corn starch and 1/2 cup flour in a storage container.  I put the lid on and shook until there were no lumps.
 
The kids and I then picked out the floss colors we liked for each egg.  I cut 1 yard of each of four colors for each egg that the kids made.  (I think you could probably use another yard or two if you'd like.)  The floss then soaked in the flour mixture until the kids were ready to wrap them on their balloons.
 
Morgan carefully wrapping her balloon with floss.  As you can see, there are newspapers down as it gets quite messy!
 
The kids each made 3 eggs.  They had to sit and dry overnight.
 
The next morning, I handed the kids a pin and watched as they excitedly got to pop a balloon!
 
We then dug the balloon out of the egg once it was popped...
 
...the finished Embroidery Floss Eggs!
 
On the Better Homes and Gardens website they made garland, but I liked the idea of hanging them from our light fixture. :-)

The kids had a BLAST with this project!  They LOVE getting messy, especially right after taking their baths! :-/  (Mom isn't as big of a fan, though-lol!)  They LOVED popping the balloons and they absolutely LOVE their finished eggs!

5 comments:

Elena said...

Beautiful! And you keep them busy!

Wendy said...

They turned out awesome! I have not ever done that with my kiddos. Will have to try it out soon. Happy Easter.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I like them, they came out really cute.

Anonymous said...

Looks like they are having a blast, mostly Blake! We used to do that project with yarn.

Oma

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I so keep saying I want to make these. I so have to seeing all the fun your kids had doing it!

 
Blogging tips