Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cake in a Mug

Morgan loves to watch me bake. Anytime I'm in the kitchen making anything, she wants to be right there watching me. Being that Morgan isn't even 2 1/2 yet, I usually don't allow her to get too involved. I'm afraid that the kitchen will end up being a disaster or what I'm making will end up being destroyed. So, when I came across a recipe on Boston Mamas the other day, for a Cake in a Mug, I thought it would be a great way to get Morgan more involved in baking with me.

I decided to try to make the Cake in a Mug yesterday and see how it worked with Morgan helping instead of watching. Morgan helped put the ingredients on the table, like she usually does, then she was able to measure out ingredients with me. Each measure was just a tablespoon, so it was easy for her to handle. Morgan also liked counting as we poored tablespoons of each ingredient into the coffee mug. Then, I allowed Morgan to stir the batter. Since it was just a mug of batter, instead of a mixing bowl, if she were to spill it somehow it wouldn't be a huge mess. After making sure it was mixed well, I stuck the mug in the microwave for 3 short minutes and the Cake in a Mug was done! Morgan was able to see the outcome of her work without losing interest or getting impatient!

Overall, the Cake in a Mug was a great way for Morgan to be more involved with baking. She was able to help me more than usual, practice counting and see the outcome of her work quite quickly. Besides that, I loved how easy it was to clean up with only using a mug, a tablespoon and a stirring spoon. For how well the experience went for both Morgan and I, we will definitely be making the Cake in a Mug again.



If anyone may be interested in making a Cake in a Mug, just head on over to Boston Mamas for the recipe. I would advise to use the chocolate chips. We didn't have any chocolate chips when we made it and the cake didn't seem to have a lot of flavor without them. Also, I'd suggest cutting it into quarters since, even without chocolate chips, it is over 500 calories as a whole.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristie,

Thanks for the shout out. I'm thrilled that the recipe worked out so well for you and Morgan. We at Boston Mamas are *bananas* about cooking and baking projects with children; hopefully we'll have more content on this topic soon.

happy blogging, Christine

Kristie said...

Hi Christine!
No problem! Thank you for sharing such fun and informative posts!

~Kristie

Opa said...

Heyda,

That looks like fun. Too bad you didn't have Blake helping after the drop clothes were down.

da

Kristie said...

Opa,
Blake was keeping busy at the time. He was unloading apples from a box. You may see a couple of apples on the floor in one of the pictures.

~Kristie

 
Blogging tips