Thursday, January 8, 2009

German Food: Schnitzel!

I've been slacking a bit with blogging about my trip to Germany and I wanted to get back to it! I'm hoping to share about the whole trip, a little at a time, by the end of January.

I loved the schnitzel in Germany! The first place I had it at was a restaurant called Waldgeist, fairly close to my parents' place. They serve everything in platter size portions there. I ordered a quarter of a jagerschnitzel and, even though it was smaller than a whole, it was still a lot to eat. I don't even think I ate half of it! Gigantic portions! The jagerschnitzel is schnitzel with a creamy mushroom sauce. They served it with french fries, or 'pommes'. Since there was so much, I ended up taking it back to my parents' place to eat as leftovers and had it 3 more times!

The other place I had schnitzel was in a little restaurant in Rothenburg. It was called championschnitzel. It also had a mushroom sauce, but it wasn't as creamy and had more of a reddish tint to it. Still very good and thankfully not such a huge portion! I was actually able to finish it there :-)

Every time we ate at a restaurant in Germany, we always would here pounding from the kitchen and we knew they were making schnitzel. It almost sounds like it would be fun to make, so I'm hoping to try it sometime now that I know I like it. I'll have to blog about it if I do and let you know how it turns out! :-)


This is what was left of my schnitzel at Waldgeist. As you can see-there was still a lot left to eat and I had already had half of it! (Sorry it's so dark.)

This is me with my leftover schnitzel. I have a goofy look on my face, don't I? I think I still had some jet lag going on.

No comments:

 
Blogging tips