Monday, January 19, 2009

My early Birthday/Valentine's Day gift!

I have had a media cabinet on my list of things that I'd like to get someday since Rich and I were married. We hadn't really needed one until we received several dvd's for Christmas this year and were just running out of room in the cabinet below the TV. So when the Plow & Hearth catalog came in the mail with media cabinets on sale, I really started to seriously think about getting one. There was a nice one that probably held as much as we would ever need room for that I really liked, but I had a hard time with the idea of spending nearly $300 for something I had only seen a picture of. Plus, when we fix up the house, would we want a media cabinet or a nice wall unit that held everything entertainment related? After looking online, I saw that Plow & Hearth also had a wall mounted media cabinet, that didn't hold nearly as much, but would only be $100 with shipping. It wasn't nearly as much to spend at once, when we didn't know what we'd want for the future, and we'd be fixing the problem of not having enough space under the TV. So I ordered it, it came, and Rich put it together and hung it up for me as my early birthday/Valentines Day gift.

I love the look and even though it's kinda hanging in the kids' play area, it still looks nice!

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised with Plow & Hearth. After placing my order, I recieved an e-mail asking where I'd like a tree sent. It turns out that they have a campaign going to reforest America. They are working to help restore natural habitats lost to forest fires. For each order made through a year (not sure when it started), Plow & Hearth will donate one seedling and their goal is to reach 1 million! I had my tree sent to the Huron-Manistee National Forest in Michigan, but they can also be sent to California and Florida. It just felt nice that I was able to help out in a small way with my order. If you would like to learn more about their efforts, just check out this link.

4 comments:

Felicia said...

OOO.. I love it! Now I want one!!

Cascia Talbert said...

That's a beautiful cabinet. Our home is too small for even something like that so we store our DVD's in a CD/DVD flip book with a zipper, actually we have a few of these. They fit nice and neatly on a shelf or drawer. We store all the empty cases in a box in our garage. I bet that cabinet looks really nice in your home and what Plow and Hearth is doing is wonderful for the environment. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful... You have received wonderful gift...

Kristie said...

I am really enjoying it. It has been so easy to get to the movies/cd's and the kids aren't even trying to get into it, which surprises me!

Thanks for your comments!

 
Blogging tips