Wednesday, March 10, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Fun #2: Irish Potato Farls

I had some leftover mashed potatoes about a week ago that I wanted to find something new to use them for and I came up with these Irish Potato Farls on allrecipes.com. They are a griddle bread that you roll out in a big circle then cut them in 4 quarters. It was interesting to read the word 'farl' actually originates from the Gaelic word 'fardel' meaning 'four parts'. It's always fun to learn something new while I'm cooking! :-)


Irish Potato Farls

  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter

1. In a pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer on medium-high heat until the center of the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Drain, return potatoes to pot and allow to completely dry out over remaining heat. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
2. Place warm mashed potato in medium bowl. Stir in flour, salt and melted butter. Mix lightly until dough forms.
3. On a well floured surface, knead the dough lightly. The dough will be sticky. Use a floured rolling pin to flatten into a 9 inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into quarters using a floured knife.
4. Sprinkle a little flour into the base of the skillet and cook the farls for 3 minutes on each side or until evenly browned. Season with a little salt and serve straight away.

They were pretty good with ketchup, but were a little bland on their own. If I were to do them again, I think I'd add some garlic or onion for flavor.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

WOW..I love them...A friend made some recently...I devoured them.

Blessings, andrea

Ticia said...

That looks interesting I might have to try them.

Together We Save said...

They sound yummy but I love onion so I would probally add some too.

Pam said...

Those look delish and so easy!

xoxo

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Ohhh yummy!!! Cole is on a no potato kick lately ... ugh :(

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Reminds me of potatoe pancakes.
Love all your Irish ideas.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Isn't everything better with ketchup that is what Cole says :)

 
Blogging tips