Monday, March 30, 2009

Make Something Monday: Nighty-Night Cookies

Make Something Monday

I grew up with my Mom making some delicious melt-in-your-mouth cookies from the egg whites she had left over after making noodles. I had never made them before, but every time I thought about them, my mouth would start watering and I would think "I have to try making those one of these days". Well, a couple weeks ago, I saw a recipe for 'Chocolate Forgotten Cookies' on Boston Mamas and they were almost the exact same cookies as I had growing up, except we called them 'Nighty-Night Cookies'. I figured since I had the recipe, I might as well stop putting off making them and give it a try, so here is the recipe:

Nighty-Night Cookies (Chocolate Forgotten Cookies)

  • 2 egg whites
  • Pinch of cream of tartar
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 6 oz. (1/2 bag) chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place egg whites and cream of tartar in the SCRUPULOUSLY clean and dry mixing bowl of a standing mixer with a balloon whisk. (You can also use a hand mixer but it may take longer.) Beat at high speed until egg whites foam and start to get shiny, then sprinkle in sugar v-e-r-y slowly as beaters continue. Add vanilla extract, and beat until stiff peaks form. Meringue should be glossy and firm. Gently fold in 6 oz. (1/2 bag) chocolate chips.
3. Drop large tablespoons of batter on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place all cookies in the oven at once and turn oven off. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR until morning or until oven has completely cooled (hence, "Forgotten"). I recommend starting this recipe after dinner the night before you need the cookies.
4. Keep in a tightly covered plastic container; separate layers with sheets of waxed paper.



And this is how they turned out!

I think they turned out better than I remember them. They must have, because I scarfed them down! (Seriously-they were done in the morning and gone the same night!) If you have never had these cookies before, I would highly recommend trying them! They turn out the best if there isn't a lot of humidity in the air. (I actually chose a cold dry night to make them.) Boston Mamas actually has a variation on the recipe as well, if you would like to head over there and check it out! :-)

For more Make Something Monday, check out Go Graham Go! and Jolly Mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you had some to share with me when I was there! Though, the cookies that you had were really good too.

Felicia said...

looks good!!!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

those look fantasic! I think when I run to the store today I'll pick up some chocolate! Saving it!

Thanks my dear ;)

Cascia Talbert said...

Those sound really good. I think I've made them before only I didn't use chocolate chips.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Those look amazing. I would love to give them a try!!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Ok well I went to the store got the chocolate. Then came home made dinner and now I'm too tired ... LOL. Tomorrow!

 
Blogging tips