Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Something on My Table


Today is Day 2 of My Life. In Pictures. and the assignment is to get a picture of something on my table. So here it is...

This is a picture of a meal that we had last week. It seemed pretty ordinary until I started thinking about how much time really went into it. The hamburger is from the first 2 steers we got the August after Morgan was born. Rich raised them from bottle fed calves to full grown steers. He fed and watered them twice a day. The hay that helped feed them was what Rich and his Grandpa harvested from our little field. He kept them bedded and made sure to clean out their pen by a pitchfork and wheelbarrow at least twice while they were here. All that work was so I could have the hamburger on my plate.

The green beans were also home grown. We planted them in our garden last summer. We kept them watered and weeded. When they were ready, we picked, cut and cleaned them. Then, along with several beans from Rich's grandma (since we didn't have enough), we canned them...90 pints of them. The green beans on my plate also took a lot of time and work.

The fries were not as much work, since the potatoes that made them were store bought. We've grown our own potatoes before, but decided not to last year. These fries were still special and took some extra time, since they were homemade. :-) (They were delicious too!)

So, as I made this meal last week, I realized that it was a special meal that was deserving of a picture to be posted as part of My Life. In Pictures. Besides that, the only other thing on my table is a pile of papers that I need to go through...not quite as picture worthy! LOL!

If you would like to participate as well, just head over to Everthing Except the Grill and check it out!

8 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

I bet it is so much more satisfying when you do everything yourself, isn't it? Such a connection, and everything coming full-circle...

MJW said...

That looks delish! I'm not sure what I'm going to do today. :)

Amber D. said...

Wow, what a post! That meal is amazing when you think of all of that effort and time put into getting it to your table.

Alexia said...

Garden green beans are the absolute best! I want to plant some this year - do you think they would be okay in planters for awhile? (we're *hopefully* moving in a couple months and I wouldn't want to leave them behind!)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Wow ok you rock! I so need to have a garden! That is truly an amazing meal! I'm doing my best wayne's world bow down to you!!!

Muah

Alicia said...

That is an awesome story! Talk about a picture is worth a thousand words!

Celeste said...

How great!!!! This is a REAL home made- home cooked meal!!!!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

You are right. I does look ordinary, but look at all the work and love that went into the meal.

Well done!

 
Blogging tips