Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Valentine's Day with their significant others/families. We have been enjoying a lot of little activities leading up to today that I wanted to share with you.

The first activity that I did with Morgan and Blake was to make valentine suncatchers. I prepared the crayon shavings, cut out the heart shaped wax paper and construction paper frames the night before. Then, the next morning, we went to work putting them together. Morgan and Blake were able to put the different colored shavings where they wanted to on their waxed paper, then I added another layer of waxed paper and a towel and ironed for about 30 seconds until the crayon melted. I then hot glued the construction paper frames to them and they turned out beautifully! We even made 2 more with our leftover crayon shavings: one for their Oma & Opa and another for their Grandma with horsies & Papa.
Morgan anxious to get to work!

Putting the crayon shavings on the waxed paper heart.
"Oh yeah! I did good!"
The finished product:
Catching the sun:
************
This is another activity that I had high hopes for, but it didn't go as planned. I cut a bunch of squares from tissue paper. (Actually the pink tissue paper that they give you in the Victoria's Secret bags....What? It was free! LOL!) Then Morgan and I wrapped them around a pencil eraser, dipped that in some glue and then stuck it to a heart-shaped construction paper. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, because the glue needed to be sticky, not runny, but Morgan was still able to get quite a few to stick. I ended up waiting until the glue dried up some, which made it stickier, then finished up after Morgan was already in bed.


I LOVE the way this turned out! I put some cardboard on the back and hung it with some ribbon that came off another package. (I'm all about reusing! LOL!)

*********

I also saw a neat little heart-shaped pocket valentine on Brimful Curiousities that I thought was super cute, so I made them for the kiddos. The original pattern calls for them to be taped closed, but I thought it would be cute to punch a couple holes and add some yarn to make them so they hung up. Rich did the shopping for the goodies in the pockets and we are giving them to Morgan and Blake this morning. Cute right?!

They are filled with a couple quarters (because the kids LOVE putting money in their banks), a box of sweethearts and fun-sized packs of M&M's.

**********

My best friend's little girl (who is a few months younger than Morgan) gave Morgan and Blake these for Valentine's Day. I thought they were adorable and they fit my kids so well!



The kiddos are giving her the same Valentine that they are getting, but they don't know it yet ;-)

***********

One last thing that we created in the spirit of Valentine's day were these delicious sugar cookies. One day I'll get beyond sugar cookies and make a more creative baked goods for the holidays, but these work for now....and I usually have all the ingredients on hand! LOL!

Morgan worked really hard helping cut out all the cookies and putting the sprinkles on. She's testing out a new pose here:

Blake worked really hard too....at devouring them! ;-)

**********

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

7 comments:

Caroline said...

What beautiful items and those cookies look great !!! So Yummy !!! Hoping you and your family have a terrific day !!!!
Caroline :)

Alexia said...

I like those sun catchers!

Wendy said...

You got all crafty this week!! How fun. They turned out great and the cookies look really yummy!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Nicole Feliciano said...

I love it! You seriously embraced the holiday. What an amazing mom you are. Happy V-Day.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Wow, you were very creative. So many cute Valentine's! Happy Day to you.

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

What a fabulous Valentine's day! Love your ideas, I am sure your kids just loved them as well!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Wow my dear you did so many fun things!! Love the crayon idea that is soo cool! And the heart is so my fav!!!!

Oh man cookies I so want one ... lol

 
Blogging tips