Monday, February 1, 2010

Make Something Monday: Applesauce

Make Something Monday

My mother-in-law had done some apple picking this fall and dropped off a bunch of apples that we let sit and ended up needing to do something with shortly before Christmas. So I made applesauce! And LOTS of it!

This was the first batch. I ended up having to do 2!

Once it cooked down, we ran it through the Foley food mill. Morgan thought it was neat and wanted to give it a try! :-)

This is how much we ended up with...8 pints that I canned and a 10 cup container that was mostly full. (I should have froze some because it didn't last very long and I had to throw a bunch out- big bummer!)


I don't have any special recipe to share. I just cut the apples up, remove the seeds, cook them down (in some water), run it through the Foley food mill to get rid of the skins, then add sugar and cinnamon to taste! I know Rich's grandmother adds nutmeg as well :-)

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Yummy!!
Blessings, andrea

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Looks good. No recipe :(
Actually I think I have one from someone in my starred section.
Have a wonderful week.

Caroline said...

I love homemade Applesauce so YUMMY !!!
Caroline

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Ahh sweetie it looks amazing and so yummy!!! I love making it, that blueberry one I made a while back was VERY yummy!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I haven't made applesauce in over a year. It is so good homemade!

Wendy said...

I love homemade applesauce too! My mom makes it the best and leaves it kind of chunky and adds cinnamon to it. Serve it warm! Yummy

love the photos that go along with your post.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

That looks delicious! Now I want applesauce! LOL!

 
Blogging tips