Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Trying to kick a habit

For those of you who don't know, I'm addicted to diet pop (soda). Doesn't matter what diet pop it is as long as I HAVE IT! (My favorite is the one pictured though!) I started drinking it when I lost a bunch of weight 2 summers ago and haven't been able to kick the habit since.

I've tried cutting it out completely, but that lasted less than a day. I've tried switching from 2 liters to cans, so I could monitor what I drank and my drinking glass could be free of pop residue so that I would drink more water.....I ended up just drinking a bunch of cans!

Now I'm going to try to kick my pop habit with lent! I haven't participated in the custom of giving something up for lent in years, but decided that this year would be a good year to start it back up. I wasn't able to have pop after having my wisdom teeth out, and I haven't since last Monday, so I decided I'd just continue through the Lenten season.

My sister got me a water bottle for my birthday. It's a pink one, so I can't just hand it over to Rich and say he needs it more than I do since he is always working outside. (He wouldn't drink from a pink water bottle if his life depended on it....okay, maybe if his life depended on it, but you know what I mean. ;-) ) It will be great to take when I go shopping, so I don't give in and buy myself a pop.

I also saved up enough amazon gift cards through Swagbucks to buy myself a PUR flavor options water pitcher. It doesn't work too well, and the flavor is kinda non-existent, but it's something more than just water, for when I'm craving more, and I think I can get used to it.

So I've been pop-free for 7 (almost 8) days and I'm surviving. Starting tomorrow I'll have 40 more days to go. I know I can do it. I just hope it's enough that I'll never go back to drinking nothing but diet pop again! Wish me luck! :-)

What about you? Are you addicted to something that you're going to be giving up for lent this year? If not, are you at least going out and getting yourself a pączki to eat today for Fat Tuesday? I'm hoping Rich remembers to grab some for us between his 2 meetings tonight...not that I NEED it or anything-LOL! :-)

11 comments:

Wendy said...

I have the same problem Kristie!! My vice is Diet Coke. I am an addict. I need help!! Maybe I should do the same and do it for Lent. I don't normally do anything for lent. Or maybe I should just keep drinking it, because it is just sooooo good! ;)

Good Luck! I am keeping tabs on you girl! lol

Together We Save said...

Oh this is a great thing to give up! I am totally addicted to diet Mt. Dew. I know it is really bad for me but I am so addicted. Good luck to you!!

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

I never really drink soda, only on occasion, but I know plenty of people who must have their soda everyday. I am not giving anything up, but I am thinking about doing something to help renew me, since that is what lent is all about. I better start thinking.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

Good luck! I know how hard it is! I'm addicted to Dr Pepper, although I've recently cut back MAJORLY and am now craving water all of the time (yay!). Hoping that will happen for you too!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh man coffee is my down fall, I've been trying so hard to drink more water!

Way to go girlie I'm so proud of you!!

Alexia said...

Good luck! It's been said that if you can go 2 weeks without caffeine (i.e. pop) you will have officially kicked your addiction for life...so long as you don't pick the habit back up again.

I've managed to *almost* kick my Diet Pop habit quite a few times, but the drink...it calls my name LOL

having fancy water bottles and COLD water really helps though.

If you like the fruity flavored water, my friend suggested dropping pieces of fruit into the bottom of your water bottle. She said it's really good. I don't like fruity-flavors so that's out for me.

Walmart also has a bubbly water that's pretty good if you just can't handle another glass of blah. It's the one fruit water I can handle (in small amounts)

Now that I've posted a blog in your comment form.... :)

John Deere Mom said...

Good luck! For me, it's coffee. I have to have a big coffee every morning. Here it is Ash Wednesday, and I haven't even decided what I am giving up for Lent! I better decide! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by. The I Spy Bag was a great prize, but I am posting a giveaway for two Tommy Tippy Cups for girls and a placemat giveaway that would be great to win this weekend.

Pam said...

Have you tried Zevia..it's a diet soda made from stevia and doesn't have any of that other funky stuff in it....it's SO GOOD!

Hope this helps and good luck!

xoxo

P.S. Zevia comes in rootbeer..yum!, ginger ale, dr. zevia (like dr pepper), cola..yumm!
lemon lime, orange, black cherry...I think that's it for now!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I don't usually do lent. I stopped drinking pop about 10 years ago. Don't miss it at all.
Good for you, keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you!! I gave up cookies, cakes, cupcakes and candy. *sniff* I'm already having withdrawals!

Keep up the awesome work, hun!

xo

 
Blogging tips