Monday, September 28, 2009

Make Something Monday: Cheesy Zucchini Bake

Make Something Monday

Wow-it's seems like forever since I've done a Make Something Monday! I actually haven't tried a lot of new recipes since my blogging break, but the ones I did try were delicious! This Cheesy Zucchini Bake was even better than I expected and if it wasn't so time consuming to make I would have made it more than the two times that I did. I actually wasn't going to make it again after the first time due to how long it took, but after I tasted it, I couldn't help but want more! (Plus it uses up a lot of zucchini, which we had WAY too much of!) It tastes a lot like lasagna and is delicious!

Cheesy Zucchini Bake
4-1/2 cups sliced zucchini
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 can (10-3/4 oz.) tomato puree
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1. In a large skillet, saute zucchini in oil until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; stir. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
2. In the same skillet, saute onion until crisp-tender. (I also sauted some green peppers with the onions, since we had so many!) Add garlic; saute 3 minutes longer. Stir in tomato puree, tomato paste, sugar, Italian seasoning and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in olives. Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
3. Combine eggs and Parmesian cheese; pour over zucchini. Bake uncovered, at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let the dish stand for 15 minutes before serving. Yield:12-16 servings.

Doesn't this look delicious!?

This is what my plate ended up looking like due to our overload of veggies. We're definitely not vegetarians, but we sure ate like we were for a while! ;-)

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It looks delicious.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

OMGosh girlie this is looking fab! I so every once in a while is so ok to go all veggies :) I'm so making this :)

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

That does look good! And SO healthy! You go girl!

 
Blogging tips