Monday, March 26, 2012

Fun Crafts and Books with Snow!

Even though I hope we don't get any more snow, we are going through a cold spell in the 30's, so I thought I'd share some snow related things the kids and I did in February.   (These cold temps are a bit of an adjustment since having temps in the 70's and 80's the last couple weeks!)

We first read a couple books that had to do with having fun with our imaginations in snow (Razzle-Dazzle Ruby) and another dealing with a snow storm (One Winter's Day).
Then we had some fun with a mixture of salt, flour, baking powder and water.  I got the idea from Inner Child Fun.  SO simple and it only takes 30 seconds to dry in the microwave!  (They puff up too!!)

Morgan's snowflakes
Blake's snowflakes
And I had to try it too....of course! :-)

We then went on to read about some sledding in "Ten on the Sled"
Then watched a little video put together from the book "Red Sled".  (Would have loved the book, but didn't think to look for it ahead of time.)  I got this video and the craft idea combination from Brimful Curiousities.

I ended up using hot glue to put the sleds together, so the kids weren't able to do it all on their own.  They then used permanent markers to decorate their sleds, but if we had some puffy paint I'm sure they would have LOVED using that instead :-)


It was nice being able to do some snow related activities, since we actually didn't get a chance to actually play in snow this winter....it was a very mild winter and we didn't have much snow and if we did it didn't last long enough for the kids to play in.   I'm not going to complain though-it was nice not having to try to drive in it! :-)

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So many fun projects and books. Love the little red sleds. The book looks like fun. I also love the snowflakes, what a cute idea.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

That's it I'm coming to live with you! hehe

What fun projects! I will have to try the snow one with the boys!

Felicia said...

I love those snowflakes! Graham's preschool class did something similar in order to create a moon.

 
Blogging tips