Thursday, July 18, 2013

Milk Jug Clothespin Holder

 
I had noticed a while ago that my old clothespin holder, that came from my parents', was starting to fall apart and I was going to need a new one.  Well, it lasted about a month after that, then this happened:

So, I started working at making a new one!  First I washed out a milk jug, then filled it with water and stuck it in the freezer.
 Once it was froze, I drew lines, with a permanent marker, for the slit to hang the jug on the line...
 ...and the hole to put the clothespins in.  (The lines may have went on easier before it was frozen...it was tough drawing the lines through the frost.)
 I then used a utility knife and cut along all the lines. 
Once the lines were mostly cut, I stuck the milk jug in a grassy spot in the sun for the ice to melt.
 After the ice melted, I finished cutting a couple spots I missed...

 ...then covered the edges of the opening with duct tape to prevent any sharp edges from catching me when I reached in.  I think it'll also help it hold up longer....but if not, it sure is an inexpensive, quick little project to do again!
 FYI:  The last milk jug clothespin holder was around for YEARS.  I've had it for probably seven years and my parents used it for several before then.
 
As I already mentioned, this is super simple and quick to do.  I love that I was able to reuse the milk jug for something super useful.  (I do laundry every other day and also hang up the kids' swim stuff often through the summer.)  I also love how easily it stores!  The fabric clothespin holders would flop around, but this sits up solid and straight.  The handle on it makes it super easy to grab quickly on the way out the door to the clothesline too!

5 comments:

mail4rosey said...

Very practical and useful! My daughter-in-law just had a holder made for her clothespins, I'll have to show her this for a project to do later.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I remember my mother hanging clothes outside. I love seeing clothes hanging on a clothes line, seems so retro! Great idea with the milk jug.

Anonymous said...

Good post!
Oma

Anonymous said...

I should say thanks for being green:) ph

Alexis AKA MOM said...

What a great idea love it!! Ok u must share how u added the text and box on the photo love it!

 
Blogging tips