Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmas Memories

As part of Go Graham Go and Jolly Mom's 'Here Comes Santa Claus' blog party, they asked about a favorite Christmas memory. I have all sorts of warm memories about Christmas, but one of my favorites were the car rides going around and looking at Christmas lights with my parents.

One of those car rides happened when I was around 10. My dad took my sister and I out on Christmas Eve to look at lights. Not a common occurance on Christmas Eve, but it was fun for us. We drove all around for a couple hours until it was time for a bathroom break. Dad found the nearest McDonalds, but apparently around here McDonalds don't stay open late on Christmas Eve. (I'm glad they don't, so they can be home with their families, but I wish they left the bathroom entrance open! LOL!) Without the McDonalds being open, dad took us straight home. We did what we needed to do then went right to bed.

The next morning, as we opened presents, my sister and I found out why we spent our Christmas Eve driving around looking at Christmas lights. Our mom wanted us out of the house! LOL! She was busily knitting each of us an afghan. She actually hadn't finished mine when we had gotten home that night and stayed up long after we had went to bed, so that she could have it done for Christmas morning. I'll never forget what my parents did for us so that we could have a wonderful Christmas that year. :-)

5 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so sweet. How hard we work at making out childrens Christmas perfect.

sweetsue said...

What a lovely memory. My parents took us for drives to look at lights too.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

We looked at lights too! Such a fun memory you have!

annies home said...

we used to go out and look at lights as a family as well

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh how sweet is that! what a wonderful thing to do. Mom's are great huh :)

 
Blogging tips