Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Gathering Place

I had another Girls' Night Out this past Saturday night and had a wonderful time. It was at my close friend's place that I roomed with all 4 years at college. She and her dad fixed up a run-down foreclosed house and it's beautiful now! My favorite spot is her kitchen...I dream of a kitchen like hers! I just LOVE the island in it with the counter stools along one side for people to sit. Saturday night we had all the food set on the island and for the longest time all eight of us stood/sat around it and just talked and laughed and had the best time. The kitchen was open and inviting and made a wonderful gathering place that I long for in my home...Sunday night I longed for that kitchen even more.... Sunday night Rich had his 6th Annual Opening Day Eve party. (A party before the first day of deer hunting gun season.) It's mostly guys and they hang out in the garage, drink beer and watch the movie "Escanaba in da Moonlight", but some of the women come along too. The girls usually hang out in the house until the guys are ready to go home and then they're the designated drivers ;-) Well, this year I felt like my house was awkward...no good place for a larger group than 3 or 4 to come together and have a nice time...the living area of the house is split up into 3 small rooms and it just doesn't work nicely. Needless to say we all ended up in the garage after about a half hour...partially because that's where all the food was but, as funny as it sounds, I think our garage is more inviting being a large open space to gather.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I do love our little house and I know we're just starting out so this is how it's going to be for a little while. And I honestly had an amazing time this year for Opening Day Eve and wouldn't have changed a thing! But, in the future, I would love a kitchen with an island like my friend's as a gathering place so we can start having parties inside as well. Plus....having to get both the outside AND the inside ready for people to visit for each gathering is quite exhausting!!! ;-)

*Disclosure: This is a teaser post for an upcoming CSN Store giveaway! CSN Stores offered for me to host a giveaway or do a review in exchange for this post.

3 comments:

Alexia said...

I love having large open spaces for gatherings. That's the one thing I miss about our old house - it was HUGE and we could, literally, fit the entire church in our house without feeling cramped.

The new house is still large enough for us, but it's divided up more so it's kind of a bummer. We can't have over as many people as we'd like to because there's just not the room. Although I find it a little funny that our old house only had two bathrooms and this one has four! LOL

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Having an open place for everyone to gather is perfect. We have a great area in our family room with bench seating, a table and our sectional that sort of works well during parties. But, I would love to have a large open kitchen where I can cook, serve drinks and entertain all at the same time.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like a nice gathering. Nothing wrong with gathering in the garage. We do have an island in our home. (I didn't have a kitchen like this for the first 34 years) We do gather around it. The day we moved in here 4 years ago we didn't have seating so the six of us ate around the island. Your day will come.

 
Blogging tips