Monday, January 26, 2009

No More Drilling!

I had a rough morning this morning that is leading to an even rougher afternoon. I had to go to the dentist this morning for a crown, which they had to put a core in as well, and two fillings. For as up tight as I was this morning about going to the dentist, I still had no clue what I was in for!

Luckily, when I got to the dentist, I didn't have to wait long. I don't think my nerves could have taken it! I went and sat in the chair and they had me sign some paperwork. The dentist then came and gave me the Novocaine, which was followed by the dental assistant coming and getting an impression of my teeth for the crown. When I was completely numb and feeling like I had a fat lip, the dentist came back and proceeded to drill, and drill, and drill! I swear he was drilling for 20 minutes. Water and pieces of tooth were flying everywhere, including all over my face. Apparently I did quite well, though. The dentist complimented on how easy going I was. (Believe me, I really wasn't feeling easy going!) Once he finished drilling, he then poured the silver into both teeth that needed fillings and proceeded to shove this metal cylinder around the tooth that needed a crown. (By the way, when I say shove, I think he actually stood up and was pushing down on it with all his might to get it into place.) He did more scraping and who knows what. The assistant rinsed and sucked up pieces of tooth and whatever stuff they make a crown with. Afterwards, I got another impression for the permanent crown and yet another for the temporary crown. The assistant cemented in the temporary crown, washed off my face for me, and I was all set (besides having to pay for all the trauma and the pain to come.)

So I'm home now. The Novocaine has wore off and I can feel the extent of what was done to me! My jaw is super sore and that whole side of my head hurts. I was told that the tooth that needed the crown would be sensitive and it is-to air! I can't breath through my mouth without feeling a sharp pain in my tooth. I was told the sensitivity would be to hot and cold and could last for 48 hours. I'm really hoping that it doesn't last that long! On top of that, the cement wasn't completely cleaned away from the inside of my tooth, so my tongue feels raw from rubbing on it. I'll need to go back in 3 weeks for the permanent crown, but that should be quick and easy...I hope.

By the way, this was only phase #1 of a dental plan they set up for me. I still have to go through phases #2 and #3 to get my wisdom teeth pulled (gulp).


Tina said...

OMG - so I guess the crown I have to get done will wait for awhile. I got the root canal done at a specialist office and have to go to my own dentist for the crown...yeah right! I am a serious cry baby - but sounds like you did great- I envy you...Besides the idea of having to go through more pain even after - no thanks!!!!hope you feel better today and thanks for stopping by my blog...

Maddie's NaNa said...

Ugh...I hate dentists! Anytime I have to go get anything's sedation dentistry all the way!

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Your kids are adorable :)

Kristie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Tina and Maddie's NaNa! I do feel better today and advil and sleep helped quite a bit yesterday. Just not looking forward to those wisdom teeth coming out! :-)

Cascia Talbert said...

Ouch! I hate going to the dentist. And we haven't had dental insurance for years now so I don't think I'm looking forward to when that time will come. Take care of yourself and those teeth!

Blogging tips