Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Day Out with Thomas the Train

A little while ago I won a family pack of tickets to ride Thomas the Train at Greenfield Village from Wendy at Money Saving Mama in Michigan. (Thank you Wendy!!) I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to win such a great prize!! Greenfield Village is such a beautiful place to visit and learn about history. Plus to be able to ride Thomas the Train would be so exciting for the kids!

I had pictured the day that we went to be warm and sunny. The kids would be excitedly walking with us and learning little bits of history while they waited for their train ride. I'd be able to see the sites that I enjoyed when I was young and went with my parents. It was going to be perfect!!

We had to wait a few weeks before we had the opportunity to go, but we were finally able to make it there this past Saturday after much anticipation. (I think Blake or Morgan must have asked about riding Thomas every day up until then.) The only thing about this past Saturday is it wasn't even close to warm (50 at the most) and the sun only came about between clouds that dropped cold rain. On top of that the wind gusts were around 45 miles per hour making it difficult to stay outside and enjoy our day.

Not only was the weather a little rough to get along with, but so was Blake! Rich and I had a date night the night before and Blake wouldn't fall asleep at his grandparents'. He probably didn't get to bed until after 10:30 and that made for a very grouchy little boy while we were trying to enjoy our day. The only times Blake was happy were when we were eating, riding the carousel and riding Thomas the Train....where he passed out! LOL!

Despite the weather and a grouchy little boy we still had a really nice time. We didn't see nearly as much as I would have liked, but we know that we'd love to go back and enjoy the village again on a warmer day and either without the kids or when they're old enough to enjoy it too :-)

Here are some pics of our visit:

This is from the place we ate at called "The Eagle Tavern" where they made it feel as much like the experience you would have had in the olden days. From the way the waitstaff dressed to the menus...very neat!
The carousel ride.
Some pictures of the village
And last, but not least, Thomas and us on our train ride :-)

9 comments:

Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

I know about those date nights. We had one Saturday night and Chloe was very grumpy on Mother's Day. How fun seeing the real "live" Thomas!

Clueless_Mama said...

We went to see Thomas last year and my little boy loved it too. I am sorry you had a tired little guy, but glad you still had fun:)

Alexia said...

That had to be so exciting for Blake! I know Noah and Jack both would have been jumping for joy!

Marissa said...

I am so excited for A Day Out With Thomas! We're planning on going in November. Too bad about the weather, but it looks like you guys still had a nice time!

Caroline said...

Wonderful pics and thanx for sharing this. How cool to see the real thing. My kids would love it !!

Caroline :)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I've been dying to take the boys to this, you're so lucky my dear :)

I'm sorry Blake was having a bad day but at least was happy for the good parts ... :). YOU all look so GREAT what a great family pictures.

That village is so inviting and cute!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry Blake was a crab but it still looks like a fun day and a great place to visit.

Alesha @ Full Time Mama said...

Wow, that looks so neat! Bummer that the weather was not ideal and Blake wasn't a happy camper, but still looks like a pretty great day. =)

Wendy said...

Glad you had fun, depsite the ugly weather we were having here in Michigan! :)

 
Blogging tips