Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ham 'n' Cheese Quiche

I had it kinda easy last week when it came to meals. Between Rich being gone to a surveying conference and having a lot of leftovers from the birthday party, all I ate was ham, potatoes and green beans every night of the week! By Friday I had run out of the leftover potatoes and green beans, but still had a nice amount of ham left that I wanted to make something new with. I grabbed my trusty new cookbook, Taste of Home's 2004 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes, to see if there was anything I could make that sounded good and I had all the ingredients for. (Rich had our only running vehicle, so taking a trip to get groceries was out of the question.) I came across a Ham 'n' Cheese Quiche that sounded like it just might work if I made a couple small changes. Well, it turned out to be several changes, so I'm just going to give you the recipe for my version. :-)

Ham 'n' Cheese Quiche


  • 1 pastry shell (9inches)
  • 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/8 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1/8 cup chopped onion
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt

Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.

Place ham, cheese, green pepper and onion in the bottom of the pastry shell. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour into shell. Sprinkle onion salt over top of quiche. Cover edges with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.

I love the way it turned out, except for my pastry shell. I made it from scratch and I'm sure you can tell from the picture that I need some practice :-) I liked it so much that I've made it a second time since last Friday. Morgan even loves it! She thinks she is eating pizza :-)

2 comments:

Alexia said...

Oh yum! That looks pretty simple too (if I buy the pastry shells LOL)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I love it my dear, I'm so going to make this next time. I usually end up buying a ham 2 a month, cheap and yummy!

 
Blogging tips