Saturday, February 7, 2009

Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

I had bought some frozen broccoli quite a while ago now with the intentions of eating more veggies than just the green beans that we had canned. Well, it turned out that the broccoli just ended up getting terribly freezer burnt and I had no clue what to do with it. I hate wasting food, so I couldn't just throw it out! When I came across this recipe, I thought it would be a great way to use the broccoli and hoped it would have enough flavor to cover up the freezer burnt taste.

Honey Chicken Stir-Fry

  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 teaspoons olive or canola oil, divided
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 package (16 ounces) frozen broccoli stir-fry vegetables (I just used a package of broccoli, then threw in some frozen green pepper that I had.)
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • Hot cooked rice

In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil. Add the honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until chicken is lightly browned and juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.
In the same pan, stir-fry the vegetables in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes or until heated through. Return chicken to the pan; mix well. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.

The stir-fry turned out delicious! I've actually made it twice now. (I had 2 bags of broccoli to use up.) It has a nice sweet flavor and I couldn't tell that the broccoli was freezer burnt, so that was a bonus! :-) Not counting the rice, the stir fry is only 240 calories and it is quite healthy! The only problem is the kids won't eat it, but they are getting really picky. (We need to work on that!)

Thanks again to Taste of Home's 2004 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes cookbook for the great recipe!

No comments:

 
Blogging tips