Saturday, April 6, 2013

Our Easter in an 'Egg'shell

We had an eventful Easter weekend this year.  We actually didn't get our decorations up until the Wednesday before Easter.  We made the Embroidery Floss Eggs that night as well, but didn't fit any more crafts (at home) in after that. :-/
 
Good Friday was the busiest. Morgan was sick, but Mattie did her best to help her feel better.
 
While Morgan slept, Blake went with Rich to the library to make Easter Origami.  He made (clockwise from upper left) a chick, an egg holder, an egg and an Easter basket!
 
I was pretty busy during that time too!  ;-)
That afternoon, I read the Easter story from The Jesus Storybook Bible...from Jesus' arrest to his resurrection.  We also went through our Resurrection Eggs and then did an activity that I read about in Thriving Family magazine.  The kids each tried dragging a log to feel what it may have been like for Jesus to carry his cross.
They also hammered nails into wood and imagined what it would have felt like to have it go through their hands.  (Morgan mustered up the energy to make it outside for this.)
Later on we dyed Easter eggs that I successfully hard-boiled!  (For some reason hard-boiling eggs is something that I've struggled with...turns out I just had to follow Betty Crocker!)
 
Saturday I was sick, but Rich and the kids went to my parents' so Rich could help my dad with a project.
 
Easter morning the kids woke up and discovered the Easter bunny had been here!
They quickly looked over their Easter baskets and then proceeded to hunt for some Easter eggs!
Emptying their eggs to see what was inside.
After that, we made Resurrection Rolls and ate breakfast bake.  The kids then got ready for church and posed with their gifts from Rich and I...their very first Bibles!  They were excited to be able to read from 'real' Bibles like adults do ;-)
We then took the 2 hour trek to my sister's house, after church, for Easter dinner and an Easter egg hunt.  We were blessed with some wonderful weather so they could have the hunt outside this year!
On the way home, we stopped at Rich's parents so we could see them for Easter and finally made it home around 8:00 that night!  We we tired, but happy for the wonderful time we spent with family, the warm weather and remembering the amazing gift Jesus gave us! :-)

3 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds like your preparations for Easter were wonderful learning tools for your children. Love the carrying of the log and the hammering of the nails. Celebrating the true meaning of Easter along with some fun Easter bunny favorites. I always have trouble with my eggs! I will check out Betty!

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Wow, that's a busy Easter! I wasn't quite as prepared... we had a very quiet weekend and went to church several times. :)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I hope she is feeling better!

It looks like such a fun Easter. I love that he carried the wood and they pounded nails. What a great way to show them!

The baskets and the egg hunt are so awesome :)

 
Blogging tips