Monday, October 27, 2008

Pumpkin Animals

I thought it would be fun to paint pumpkins this year with the kids. Painting would allow them to be creative and be more involved than they would be if we carved a pumpkin. I thought for sure there must be pumpkin painting kits, and there probably are, just not in the store I was in. The store did carry sets to decorate pumpkins as either monsters or animals, though. The kits were face pieces that are pushed into the pumpkin like making a Mr. Potato Head. I thought they were really cute, so I picked up an animal kit and decided we could try painting another year.

We decided to make our animal pumpkins last night, but it didn't work like I thought it would. The pieces were really hard to push into the pumpkins. So hard that Rich and I had to decorate the pumpkins while Morgan and Blake watched. Blake was already tired, got bored quickly and ended up was fussy through most of the decorating. Morgan tried pushing a couple pieces in, but when that didn't work, she was content seeing the animals take shape. It wasn't exactly what I had planned for getting them involved. Even if we had carved a pumpkin, they could have at least taken the insides out. I guess we'll have to stick to pushing face pieces into Mr. Potato Head, for now, and be sure to try painting or carving pumpkins next year.

The animal pumpkins did turn out super cute-check out the pics!

2 comments:

ChefDruck said...

These are adorable! Great idea!

Kristie said...

Chefdruck,
Thanks! I'm not typically a Wal-Mart shopper, but I was there to pick up a gift on a baby registry and that's where I found them-if you are interested for your own little ones :-)

~Kristie

 
Blogging tips